Andy was a sad and angry 4-year-old boy with uncontrollable behavior when he was referred to The Children's Home Society of New Jersey for counseling. Most of his life had been spent in a series of foster care programs of other agencies. Through the counseling he received as a young child, Andy is well on his way to a bright future.
Johanna and Jeramy's Story
Johanna Santiago wants what all caring parents want for their children - to provide her son with whatever he needs to be safe and healthy with a future filled with promise. And she is determined to make that happen. But Johanna's life wasn't always so focused.
After a traumatic home experience involving domestic abuse, young Michael and his four siblings were removed from home and taken immediately to the Crisis Nursery operated by Children's Home + Aid in Bloomington, Illinois. There, they received the support and resources they needed to cope with their situation to ultimately move them towards a safe, permanent setting.
- The next "Wicked Problems of Child Welfare" conference, which brings together practitioners, researchers, policymakers and philanthropists to tackle the issues of child welfare, will take place Oct. 21-22, 2015 in Chicago. More details coming soon.
- Thank you to those who attended CHSA's congressional briefing, "Wicked Problems, Wicked Solutions: Innovative Collaborative Systems for Better Child Welfare Outcomes," in March 2015 in Washington, D.C. We will be back in 2016!
- Read about all the incredible work by CHSA and its member agencies in the new 2013-14 CHSA Annual Report. Download here.
- CHSA and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill’s School of Social Work have launched a child welfare practice-based research network to help inform and improve local, state and national policies around child welfare and well-being. Click here.
- Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to receive updates on national child welfare news.